At the ESOT Congress in September in Athens, John Boletis, Ina Jochmans, Nicos Kessaris and Hanne Scholz will complete their first term in office as ESOT Councillors. In addition, we have an additional vacancy due to one Councillors’ appointment as Treasurer. Please note that, according to our Bylaws, John, Ina, Nicos and Hanne can apply for re-election.
I am sure that you will all join me in expressing our most sincere gratitude to John, Ina, Nicos and Hanne for their truly excellent service to ESOT so far.
We will now proceed with the election of five new Councillors.
The election will take place as follows:
1. Members of the ESOT Council, all bona fide Members of ESOT and all Presidents of the European National Transplant Societies are cordially invited to nominate Members of ESOT for the position of ESOT Councillor. Nominations should be forwarded to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and to Devi Mey, the ESOT CEO (email@example.com). Nominations must include the name and contact details of the nominee and must also ensure that the nominee is aware and agreeable with their nomination. It is of utmost importance that nominations take into consideration the fact that ESOT wishes to have a broad and balanced representation concerning, among others, gender and transplant discipline. Therefore, members of traditionally underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged to apply. The nomination also needs to take into consideration experience, expertise, national and international status and recognition. ESOT is looking for dynamic, enthusiastic professionals with a strong commitment to the Society and the willingness to be actively involved in its numerous projects and activities. Nominees will be asked to submit a short CV and a statement of their intended contribution to the Council (max. 300 words).
We kindly ask you to send your nominations by 14 May 2023, midnight CEST.
2. We invite nominations from each of the four geographical areas listed below. Given the current composition of the ESOT Council and ESOT’s commitment to ensure geographical diversity, we aim to elect one Northern European Councillor, one Southern European Councillor, two Western European Councillors, and one Eastern European Councillor.
3. Applications will be reviewed by the ESOT Team. Only bona fide ESOT members can be included on the ballot. Please note that, according to the ESOT Bylaws (art. 4), International, Honorary and Emeritus members of ESOT are not eligible to vote or run for office.
4. Following that, the election of the five Councillors will take place. All eligible ESOT members will receive an email informing them of the opening and closing dates of the voting process and a unique link to the voting platform, where they will be able to view the CVs and statements of the nominees and to cast their vote.
Candidates will be grouped and ranked (if more than one per region) according to one of the following geographical areas:
- Western Europe (UK, Ireland, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Liechtenstein)
- Northern Europe (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia)
- Southern Europe (Spain, Andorra, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Malta, Turkey, Croatia, Slovenia, Republic of North Macedonia, Cyprus, San Marino, Albania, Bosnia Herzegovina, Montenegro, Monaco)
- Eastern Europe (Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Moldova, Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan).
A candidate’s area is determined by the country in which they carry out their profession.
The candidate receiving the highest number of votes in each area will be elected. In the event that one of the geographical areas is not represented, the seat will be re-distributed to the highest-ranking candidate in the second place from the other three areas.
5. Nominees will be informed of the outcome of the election upon closing of the voting platform. Their election and the availability of the fifth Council position will need to be ratified by the next ESOT General Assembly, which will take place at the ESOT Congress in Athens.
I encourage you to get involved in the democratic process by submitting your nominations and exercising your right to vote!
Thank you and kindest regards,